City Council Meetings
City Council meetings are held on the second and fourth Monday of every month at 5.30pm. No meetings are held in the month of August. Meetings are held in the Council Chamber, City Hall, Cork.
Attendance of Public and Media
Members of the public and media are in general welcome to attend at meetings of the Council. However the right of the public and representatives of the media to attend Council meetings is subject to the following:
- Where the Council is of opinion that the absence of members of the public and representatives of the media from the whole or part of a particular meeting is desirable because of the special nature of the meeting or of an item of business to be or about to be considered at the meeting for other special reasons, the Council may, by resolution in respect of which at least one-half of the total number of members vote in favour, decide to meet in committee for the whole or part of the meeting concerned. The resolution in this instance shall indicate in a general way the reasons for the resolution and those shall be recorded in the minutes of the meeting.
- Members of the public shall not participate in the debate.
- The number of persons admitted shall be subject to the availability of space.
- Members of the public and representatives of the media will occupy the parts of the Council Chamber allocated to their use.
- Members of the public shall be seated and maintain silence and observe any directions given by the Chair or by any employee in attendance upon the Council. Such employees are responsible for the execution of all measures necessary for the maintenance of order and decorum in and about the Chamber.
- If a member of the public interrupts as meeting at any time or endeavours, to address a Meeting or to make contact with a Councillor or pass materials or notes to a Councillor, the Chair shall warn him or her and if the interruption continues shall order that person's removal.
- In the case of a general disturbance in any part of the Meeting Room open to the public, the chair shall order that part to be cleared.
- No cameras of any kind or sound recording or communication equipment may be used at meetings of the Council without the prior approval of the Council.
- The use of mobile phones shall not be permitted.
“Public attendance to a council meeting will be by way of a visitors pass obtained on the night of a meeting.
Passes will be issued on production of
(a) a valid form of photo identification
(b) the visitor signs to accept Cork city councils meeting attendance terms and conditions”