Repairs and Maintenance which are the Responsibility of the Tenant
- Filling plaster cracks.
- Repairing and replacing cupboards, wardrobes, kitchen units and their doors, hinges, handles, locks, catches and drawers.
- Repairs to vent covers.
- Reparing or replacing and fitting wall and floor tiles and floor covering.
- Repairs to fire grates, fire tiles, hearths, fireplaces and fire backs except for normal wear and tear.
- Carrying out repairs due to condensation.
- Repairs to hot press fittings and shelving.
- Damage caused by the tenant, members of the household or visitors.
- Repairs to internal doors, frames and saddles.
- All internal decoration.
- Keeping all gardens and hedges tidy.
- Repairing or replacing fences, gates and garden boundary walls, sheds and outhouses whether erected by the tenant or the Council.
- External painting of houses.
- Cleaning silt, leaves and other deposits from gutters and downpipes.
- Repairing/replacing television aerials, satellite dishes and other services installed or used only by the occupants of the house.
- Control of infestation of any type including rodent and insect infestation.
- Repairing and replacing lamp holders and plugs or any appliances.
- Replacing fuses, except for the mains fuse.
- Repairing/replacing waste pipes inside the home.
- Cleaning and clearing blockages in gully traps, toilets or internal/external drains.
- Clearing airlocks and obstructions in water pipes.
- Repairing/replacing toilet bowls, baths, sinks and wash hand basins except when cracked or leaking due to fair wear and tear.
- Repairing/replacing toilet cisterns and covers, except if leaking due to fair wear and tear.
- Repairing/replacing seats, chains, handles, washers and stoppers for toilets and sinks.
Doors and Windows
- Repairing and replacing external and internal locks and handles, except for fair wear and tear.
- Draught proofing doors and windows.
- Repairing windows stays, catches and restrictors.
- Repair/replacing letterboxes.
- Replacing broken glass.
Cooking Appliances and Showers
- Repairing or replacing all cooking and shower appliances installed by the tenant.
Abused/Deliberately Damaged Items
- The Council will not repair nor replace items that appear to have been misused, abused or deliberately damaged.
It is recommended that you get advice from an appropriate person before carrying out these works especially in the case of electrical repairs.
This information is available for download in PDF format.