Services » Strategic Planning & Economic Development

Archaeology Zones in the City

Cork City’s archaeological heritage is protected under the National Monuments Acts (1930-2004), Natural Cultural Institutions Act 1997 and the Planning Acts. The Record of Monuments and Places (RMP) is an inventory, put on a statutory basis, of sites and areas of archaeological significance. The RMP is accompanied by a set of maps on which the monuments are numbered and marked by a circle. 

The City Centre Zone of Archaeological Potential (CO074-122) is identified in the inventory and includes the medieval historic core. There are 54 RMP sites located within this Zone and these include the site of the original monastery of Saint Finbarre and the medieval walled city. In this zone archaeological remains lie within a metre of the modern surface, particularly in the North and South Main Street areas, and these strata can be present to a depth of 3m in places. The city wall also survives beneath the modern street surface and in some places is present less than 0.3m below the present ground surface to a depth of 2.5m. Sites within the suburbs at the northern (Shandon) and southern (Barrack Street environs) approaches to the historic core are also included. Outside the historic core, the zone covers the un-walled medieval suburbs, known sites of medieval religious houses (Red Abbey), and parts of the city which were developed in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries when marshes were reclaimed and new streets laid out. 

In addition, there are 59 RMP sites located outside the Zone of Archaeological Potential for the City. These include Blackrock, Dundanion and Ringmahon Castles; a standing stones in Ballinlough and Churchyard Lane Graveyard, Ballintemple.

These are listed in the inventory in Volume 3 of the Cork City Development Plan 2009 – 2015.